Brightspace Purdue is the Learning Management System (LMS) used at Purdue University. It is the centrally supported LMS developed by D2L that supports instructional materials and student interactions.
Table of Contents
How to access brightspace purdue
To access Purdue brightspace,
- Navigate to purdue.brightspace.com.
- Choose your campus to log in to Purdue University Brightspace
- Purdue West Lafayette
- Purdue Fort Wayne
- Purdue Global
- Purdue Northwest
- On the login page, enter your Purdue username.
- Then enter the password associated with your account.
- Click “Sign In” to access brightspace purdue learning management system.
How to access grade feedback in purdue brightspace
For almost every assignment, you should receive feedback via a rubric, written, audio, or a mixture of these.
But first, what is a rubric?
A rubric is a scoring tool that explicitly represents the performance expectations for an assignment or piece of work. A rubric divides the assigned work into component parts and provides clear descriptions of the characteristics of the work associated with each component, at varying levels of mastery.
Below are the steps on how to access feedback in brightspace purdue when graded material is published.
- Locate the Assignments by selecting “Assignments” from the “Course Tools” drop down menu in brightspace purdue.
- Once in your course Assignments, you’ll see a full list of what you have submitted, what is not due yet, etc. *Note: Discussions are not listed in the course assignments.
- Here, you will see all of your submissions, grades, and feedback. To access your feedback, click to blue “Unread” or “Read” button next to feedback.
- Read = means you have already read or looked at the feedback.
- Unread = means you have yet to read or look at the feedback.
- Navigate to the “Grades” section of the course.
- Scroll to the Discussions section of the course. Your feedback will be present on the right-hand side.
- In some cases, an instructor may use a rubric to give specific feedback. This will appear in your “Grades.” Click on the blue “View Graded Rubric” to see specific feedback.
How to use kaltura for video assignments
You can use Kaltura to upload videos to your assignments or discussions in Brightspace Purdue. Kaltura allows you to upload your videos securely so that they may be seen only by your instructor, or only by your instructor and classmates.
Videos uploaded via Kaltura to an assignment are only viewable by your instructor; videos uploaded to a discussion can be watched by anyone with access to that discussion forum.
- Login to D2L Brightspace Purdue and open the course you would like to submit your video to.
- If you are submitting a video to an assignment, click on the name of the assignment in the appropriate module. Alternatively, click Course Tools and select Assignments from the drop-down to locate the assignment.
- If you are submitting a video to a discussion, click on the name of the discussion in the appropriate course module. Alternatively, click Course Tools and select Discussions from the drop-down to locate the discussion.
- In the submission area, click the Insert Stuff button near the top-left of the text box.
- Click Add Kaltura Media.
- Click +Add New near the top-right side of the screen and select Media Upload from the drop-down.
- Drag and drop the video file from your computer into the pop-up window or click +Choose a file to upload to search for the file. You may need to scroll in the pop-up window to see all available options. Your video will then upload.
- If the screen changes and you cannot see the upload options, refresh the screen and click on the Add Stuff icon again. Your video will have uploaded.
- Your video will process in Kaltura. Allow a few minutes for the video to be converted by Kaltura. Click the Refresh icon at the upper right of the Add Kaltura Mediascreen to check video conversion progress.
- Once the video is ready, click the </>Embed button to the right of your video.
- You can preview the video if you would like. Click Insert to add the video to the assignment or discussion.
- The video is added to the submission window. You may choose to add text or other content at this time. When you are finished, click Submit.
How to enable brightspace purdue notifications
Purdue Brightspace does not automatically send you updates or emails for your courses. To ensure you stay up-to-date with information your instructor sends, consider signing up for notifications.
- Click your name near the top-right and select Notifications from the drop-down.
- Under Contact Methods,select the email address you would like notifications sent to. For best results, use your Purdue email. To change your email address, select Change your email settings. You can also register your cell phone number, if you would like.
- Under Summary of Activity, select the frequency for which you would like to receive email notifications of activity in Brightspace Purdue.
- Under Instant Notifications, you can select which elements of the course you would like to be notified about. Consider including Announcements as one of your selections.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page to customize your notifications. Consider selecting the Allow future courses to send me notifications option. This will apply the settings you previously established to your future courses.
- Click Manage my course exclusions if there are courses you would not like to notifications for.
- Click Save when you are finished.