CAESAR Northwestern is a system of record for student data at Northwestern University. Students, faculty, advisers, parents, guardians, and staff use CAESAR to manage classes and grades, pay bills, view financial aid, process admissions, and maintain demographic data.
Table of Contents
How to log into CAESAR Northwestern
To access CAESAR Northwestern;
- Navigate to caesar.northwestern.edu.
- Click on the “Log in to CAESAR with your NetID” link.
- This should take you to the login page.
- Enter your NETID.
- Enter your password.
- Click “Log In” to access your dashboard.
CAESAR Northwestern has a tile-based homepage, and all the components and links can be found under their respective tiles. The homepage also includes at-a-glance information, for example, whether you have a hold and what (and where) your next class is. After clicking a tile, you’ll see the items inside are organized in an easy-access side menu.
How to activate your CAESAR Northwestern account
NetIDs are provided to active members of the University community as a result of having been entered into CAESAR Northwestern. Students receive their NetID Activation Code from their school or the Admissions Office.
Your NetID is your electronic identity at Northwestern. The most common format of a NetID is a combination of three letters (often related to your name) and three or four numbers. Your NetID is different from your seven-digit student/employee number.
Your NetID is your key to Northwestern’s tools and resources. Once you have received an activation code from your department’s NetID coordinator, you can activate it by going to NUValidate.
- Once you receive your NetID and activation code from your program’s admissions office, go to NUValidate at northwestern.edu/login. Contact your program’s admissions office if you don’t have your NetID and activation code.
- In the Username field, enter your NetID; in the Password field, enter the activation code, then click Login.
- Record answers to four security questions. In the future, if you happen to forget your password or accidentally let it expire, you’ll need to provide answers to two of your security questions to self-reset your password.
- Create your personalized NetID password.
- Once you’ve activated your NetID and recorded answers to security questions, you will then be directed to another website to activate your student email account.
How to reset your forgotten or expired password
You must change your NetID password once a year. If you know your password (i.e., it’s current and active), it’s an easy procedure to change it.
If you’ve forgotten your NetID password or accidentally let it expire without changing it, you’ll need to reset it. Your most straightforward option is to self-reset it, provided you have already established answers to security questions.
- Visit NUValidate at northwestern.edu/login.
- Enter your NetID, leave the password blank, and click Forgot Password?
- Answer two of your security questions.
- Follow the password change prompts and click Submit.
How to register for classes at Caesar Northwestern
To add classes;
- Navigate to the CAESAR login page and sign in using your NetID and password. Your Student Homepage appears.
- Click on the Manage Classes tile to add a class to your schedule.
- Click on “Shopping Cart and Enroll” in your left-hand menu. If more than one term is available, select the appropriate term. The Shopping Cart – Add Classes to Shopping Cart page appears.
- Enter a 5-digit class number in the Class Nbr field and press Enter. OR, press Search to access the Shopping Cart – Enter Search Criteria page to search and select a course. If the class has a related component(s), such as lab or discussion section(s), they will appear beneath the lecture component. Note: You must register for discussion or lab sections with the lecture. You cannot register for labs and discussion sections independently.
- Select the section(s) you want and click Next. The Shopping Cart – Select classes to add – Enrollment Preferences page appears.
- Review your course selection, enter a Permission Nbr if required, change the Grading basis if desired, select the number of Units available and click Next. You have successfully added this class to your shopping cart.
- Repeat the steps above to add additional classes to your Shopping Cart or click the Enroll button to proceed with the enrollment process.
- Confirm your class selections and press the Finish Enrolling button. The Shopping Cart–View Results page appears when your transactions have been processed. Successful enrollments will display a green checkmark next to the class, and unsuccessful enrollments will show a red X next to the class. If a class addition or swap is unsuccessful, Errors will be displayed in the Message field.
- Press the Add Another Class button to add another class, or click the My Class Schedule button to view and print a copy of your class schedule. Confirm that your schedule is correct and, if you wish, click the Printer Friendly Page link in the lower right-hand corner and print a copy. Alternately, you can navigate from the Manage Classes tile on your Homepage and select View My Classes from the left-hand menu.
How to drop a class on Caesar Northwestern
- To Drop a class from your schedule, click on the Enroll link from the Student Center. The Add Classes–Select Term page appears.
- Press the drop link. The Drop Classes–Select Term page appears.
- Select the term and press the Continue button. The Drop Classes–Select classes to drop page appears.
- Select the classes you wish to drop and press the Drop Selected Classes button. The Drop Classes–Confirm your selection page appears.
- Review the page to confirm the course(s) to drop. Press Finish Dropping to complete the drop transaction or press Cancel to exit without dropping your class(es).
- If the action is successful, CAESAR Northwestern will display Success in the Message field. If the drop is unsuccessful, Errors will be displayed in the Message field. Click My Class Schedule to review your new schedule.