LaTrobe LMS is the Learning Management System used by La Trobe University built on Moodle LMS. This system may be referred to as the ‘LMS’ or as ‘Moodle’ – it is the same system.
The LMS is an online learning environment that allows you to locate learning materials and activities related to your studies from any location with internet access.
To login to all La Trobe online systems use your student ‘username’ and ‘password’. Your username for La Trobe systems is StudentID@students.ltu.edu.au.
- The Learning Management System (LMS) contains learning materials and activities related to your studies.
- StudentOnLine lets you view and change your enrolment and personal details. It is the place where you can:
- get a ‘Statement of Account’
- change your enrolment
- get an unofficial transcript and
- make payments towards your fees.
Your student email account has a different username than the other La Trobe systems. Use StudentID@students.latrobe.edu.au, to log in. Your student email account is used for all uni communication. Make sure you check your student email account regularly for important info.
Table of Contents
How to log into LaTrobe LMS
To access LaTrobe LMS,
- Navigate to lms.latrobe.edu.au.
- Click Log in on your left.
- On the login page, enter your username.
- Then click next and enter your password to log into your LaTrobe LMS account.
The LaTrobe LMS on mobile devices
To access the LaTrobeLMS on a mobile device, it is recommended to use the Moodle app. This app is available from the AppStore (for iOS) and PlayStore (for Android). After installing the app, enter the following address to connect it to the La Trobe LMS: lms.latrobe.edu.au
Your profile photo in LaTrobe LMS
Your official La Trobe student ID photo has been loaded into the LaTrobe LMS. If you have already uploaded your photo to the LMS, it will have been overwritten with the official La Trobe student ID photo. By default, your photo will be visible only to you and to the lecturers and tutors of your subjects. You will have the option of making your photo public and replacing it should you wish to do so. You can do this from the Edit Profile setting in the Settings block.
Why can’t I log in?
There could be many reasons but the most probable reason is that you have simply forgotten your password, are trying the wrong password, or are entering your password incorrectly. Some other things to think about include:
- Confirm your username and password. You can get help with resetting your password on the Reset Password page. Note: passwords are case sensitive, check the caps lock is off.
- Check your Statement of Account (through StudentOnline) to ensure that you are correctly enrolled in at least one subject
Why can’t I see my subjects?
It can take up to 24 hours after enrolment for subjects to become available in the LaTrobe LMS. Log into StudentOnLine to confirm you are enrolled in the subject and confirm with your lecturer that LMS is required for your subject.
If you still can not see your subject in the LaTrobe LMS confirm the missing subject is not hidden:
- Log into LaTrobe LMS
- Click the Customise this page button in the top right corner of the dashboard.
- Ensure the filter options in the Subject overview block are configured to display All (except removed from view) and the filter at the bottom-left corner of the block is also configured to show All subjects.
- Click the Stop customising this page button in the top right-hand corner of the dashboard.
If your subjects have still not appeared 24 hours after enrolling your lecturer has likely selected start date for the subject that has not yet passed, contact your lecturer or Student IT Support to confirm.
How to accept your offer and enrol in subjects
Congratulations on your offer to study at La Trobe University and welcome to the La Trobe community.
Follow all the steps below to accept your offer and secure your place.
- Activate your account
- Accept your offer (note that you need to complete steps 3 and 4 below to secure your place in the course)
- Confirm your personal details and payment option
- Enrol in all of your subjects
Set up your account
- Click the Activate account link below.
- Use your Applicant ID or La Trobe Student ID and personal email to verify your identity. This needs to match the ID provided to you by VTAC, UAC or Apply Direct (including any letters).
- All details need to exactly match your original application for you to continue, including your name and email address.
- After activating your account, your student ID number displays. This is your La Trobe student ID and your username for StudentOnLine.
- You’ll receive a confirmation email.
Accept your offer
- Log in to StudentOnLine.
- Under the Offers tab, select the view button from the left-hand column to view your offer.
- Select accept, defer or decline.
Confirm your personal details and payment option
- Confirm your personal details in StudentOnLine. You must make sure the details you provide match the personal details you have listed with the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). You can check your ATO personal details by creating an account and logging into myGov.
- Select Contact on the left sidebar menu.
- You must add a semester/term address and next of kin details.
- Amend and confirm your phone numbers, emails and other details.
- Confirm your payment option, and if eligible, complete the Commonwealth Assistance Forms (eCAFs).
Before completing your eCAFs, read the relevant HELP information booklet so you understand your obligations as a Commonwealth-supported student.
Enroll in your subjects
- The easiest way to accept and enrol is to use the link in your offer email.
- If you have already started but have not completed these four steps, you must use the StudentOnLine link in your offer email to continue your enrolment.
- You haven’t confirmed your place until you enrol in all your subjects for your first year.
- Follow the enrolment instructions to ensure you understand your study plan, successfully enrol in all your subjects and read up on your next steps (not applicable to Graduate research candidates).
Steps to enrolment in StudentOnLine
Follow the steps below.
- Find your course structure
- Use the University Handbook to see more detail about your core (compulsory) subjects or elective subject options.
- Be sure to know what you’re enrolling in
- In most cases you’ll be enrolling into subjects from just one year level of your course per year (i.e. in your first year at La Trobe you will choose subjects from the course’s first year) even though StudentOnline may show you options to enrol into later year levels.
- Studying through a partner institution?
- Some students don’t enrol via StudentOnLine e.g. Open Universities Australia (OUA) and Didasko – you can find more information about this on La Trobe Online partners page.
Enrol into subjects:
1. Log in to StudentOnLine
- Log in to the enrolment system, StudentOnLine
2. Go to your Study Plan
- Select the Enrolment tab and then select Study Plan
- If you are asked:
- Click on Select for your admitted course
- Confirm your personal details (follow each link to confirm or update until all are confirmed).
- You can clear the drop-down boxes at the top of the page to see all subject enrolment options (or else select the correct year you are enrolling into and the specific study period or campus, e.g. online).
3. Choose your elective subjects (if applicable)
- If you need to enrol in electives in your course:
- In your Study Plan, find the option line for the elective year level you want to enrol in
- Click Choose
- Select the subject you want to enrol in from the available list (or search a subject code at the top)
- Click on Add to Study Planner
- Click on the Save changes on Study Planner button
- The subject/s should now be listed as ‘Planned’ on your Study Plan.
- Too many subjects coming up?
- You can search for a particular subject, refine your search fields or search for more subjects using the Extended Search Criteria box.
- Need help finding elective subjects?
- You can use the University Handbook on the website to filter for subjects without pre-requisites at the year level, area of study, semester (and more) that you need and then use the subject code/s to select them in StudentOnLine.
4. Enrol in your subjects
- To enrol in your core and/or elective subjects (once chosen and listed on the Study Plan):
- If the subject is running in more than one teaching period, select the one you want to study it in, e.g. Semester 1
- Check the box to the right of the screen for each subject
- Select the blue Enrol button at the bottom of the screen
- Review the selected subjects in your ‘Potential Enrolment List’ and then select the Confirm enrolment button.
5. Check your enrolment
- You can confirm what your enrolled subjects are by selecting Current Enrolment from the menu on the left of your screen.
6. Complete your enrolment for the whole year
- Complete this process for all subjects in your desired study plan for the whole calendar year (or the rest of the calendar year, if you are enrolling after Semester 1).
La Trobe email address
Your La Trobe email address is your student ID number, followed by @students.latrobe.edu.au (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org).
Login to your account using your StudentID@students.ltu.edu.au and password in Office 365. If you do not know your password you can reset it.
When contacting the academic or administrative staff, you must use your official student email account as it identifies you as a La Trobe student. Emails sent from personal accounts (e.g. Gmail, Hotmail, etc) may get blocked by our spam filters.
Why can’t I use my email address to contact my academics or ASK La Trobe?
It’s very important that you only use your La Trobe student email address when communicating with the University. University policy states that La Trobe email is the official medium for correspondence with you, our students.
LaTrobe University sends all your important notifications to your student email address, including information on:
- fees and your Statement of Account
- updates on the university systems (e.g. when StudentOnLine is down for maintenance)
- graduation invitations
An email sent from your email address to academics or administrative staff, including ASK La Trobe, may not be answered due to privacy and confidentiality issues. Non-La Trobe emails are sometimes blocked by the university network security systems.
Login to your La Trobe email anytime.
How to log into La Trobe email on android
Note: Microsoft does not guarantee that you will be able to access your Office 365 email via the default mail client on your Android device. It is recommended to you use the official Microsoft Outlook app.
- Download the Microsoft Outlook app from the Google Play Store
- Select Exchange as the account type
- Sign in using your La Trobe student username e.g. email@example.com and your student account password
How to log into La Trobe email on iPad
Note: If you have previously set up your La Trobe email on your device, you must remove it before you configure it again.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap mail, Contact, Calendars.
- Tap Add account.
- Tap Exchange.
- Enter your student email address e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enter your student account password.
- Enter a description for the account e.g. La Trobe Email.
- Tap Next.
- Tap Continue.
- Enter your student email address in the username field e.g. email@example.com
- Tap Next.
- Select the information you wish to synchronise with your iPhone and tap Save.
How to log into La Trobe email on iPhone
Note: Microsoft does not guarantee that you will be able to access your Office 365 email via the default mail client on your Apple device.
- Download the Microsoft Outlook app from the App Store
- Select Office365 as the account type
- Sign in using your La Trobe student username e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org and your student account password
LaTrobe password reset
- Navigate to https://sso.latrobe.edu.au/adfs/portal/updatepassword.
- Enter your student username e.g. email@example.com into the first field.
- Enter your existing password into the Old Password field.
- Enter a new password into the New Password field.
- Re-enter your new password in the Confirm New Password field.
- Click Submit.
How do I register with the self-service password reset tool?
- You must register with the self-service password reset tool before you can use it to change your password.
- You must already know your La Trobe Student password to successfully enrol. If you do not know your password, please contact the Student IT Support for assistance.
- You will need to register at least one mobile phone device or one alternate email address.
- A verification code will be sent to either your mobile phone or your alternate email address.
- Enter this code to verify and complete your registration with the self-service password reset tool.
- Ensure all browser windows are closed after registration.
How do I reset my password using the self-service password reset tool?
- Select verification method you chose to register with the self-service password reset tool (either Student SMS or Student Alternate email address).
- Enter your La Trobe username and the security code displayed.
- Click Send Verification Code button to send verification to your registered mobile phone or alternate email address.
- Enter this code to change your password.