The LAUSD calendar contains the important dates for the 2022-2023 academic year. The LAUSD calendar 2022-2023 has four additional days for optional, but targeted, accelerated academic opportunities, spread out throughout the year, which will provide ways for them to engage in programming and opportunities to catch up.
The Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) has 180 school days in a school year. The Fall semester has 78 instructional days (16 weeks), and the Spring semester has 102 instructional days (21 weeks).
Under California state law, students are required to attend 180 days of school. The four optional student acceleration days are being offered to supplement the required days and provide additional learning opportunities for students at essential points in the year.
The LAUSD calendar was approved on April 26, 2022. New to this proposed calendar, there is three optional professional development (PD) days on August 9, August 10, and August 11, 2022. In prior years, these additional professional development days may have been funded and provided by individual schools.
For the 2022-2023 academic year, Los Angeles Unified is providing funding so that all C-basis employees (e.g. teachers, instructional support providers, counselors) at all schools have the opportunity to engage in these professional learning opportunities. Check out the LAUSD Schoology login guide.
Important dates on the LAUSD calendar
Below are the important dates, and holidays on the LAUSD calendar 2022-2023.
- LAUSD fall 2022 semester starts on Monday, August 15, 2022. It is the First Day of School for the 2022-2023 academic year.
- Admission Day is Friday, September 2, 2022. Check out how to access your LAUSD email.
- Labor Day holiday (no school) is Monday, September 5, 2022.
- Unassigned Day (no school) is Monday, September 26, 2022.
- Unassigned Day (no school) is Monday, October 5, 2022.
- Veterans Day (no school) is Friday, November 11, 2022.
- LAUSD Thanksgiving break 2022 (no school) is from Monday, November 21 to Friday, November 25, 2022.
- LAUSD Winter break 2022 (Winter recess, no school) is from Monday, December 19, 2022, to Friday, January 6, 2023. It is the winter vacation period for LAUSD students.
- LAUSD Spring 2023 classes start on Monday, January 9, 2023. The second semester begins.
- Dr Martin Luther King, Jr. Day holiday (no school) is Monday, January 16, 2023.
- Presidents Day holiday (no school) is Monday, February 20, 2023.
- Cesar Chavez Day holiday (no school) is Friday, March 31, 2023.
- LAUSD Spring break 2023 is from Monday, April 3 to Friday, April 7, 2023. Los Angeles Unified School District students return to school on Monday, April 10, 2023.
- Unassigned Day (no school) Monday, April 24, 2023.
- Memorial Day holiday (no school) is Monday, May 29, 2023.
- LAUSD spring 2023 ends on Thursday, June 15, 2023. The second semester ends. It is the last day of school for the 2022-2023 academic year.
- The Juneteenth holiday (no school) is on Monday, June 19, 2023.
According to the LAUSD calendar, scheduled Pupil Free Days are Friday, August 12, 2022, and Friday, June 16, 2023. If a school selects Monday, January 9, 2023, as a Pupil Free Day, then Friday, June 16, 2023, becomes an Instructional Day.
LAUSD Acceleration Days will take place on Monday, December 19, 2022, Tuesday, December 20, 2022, Monday, April 3, 2023 and Tuesday, April 4, 2023. The Acceleration Days are one of many innovative instructional strategies deployed to support students. During these additional days of instruction, teachers and support staff are expected to meet with students one-on-one or in small groups.
This additional dose of instruction will also help students who may need extra support to meet grade-level standards and/or the C-or-better goal. These days are part of the school’s efforts to close achievement and learning gaps. Beyond the Bell programs will also be
available in all elementary and middle schools to provide academic support, recreational activities, and enrichment until 6 p.m. on these optional student acceleration days.
LAUSD calendar 2022-23 PDF
Below is the LAUSD 2022-2023 calendar by month PDF.
For more on the LAUSD calendar, visit the Los Angeles Unified School District calendar page.