The CSUN Portal or myNorthridge Portal is CSUN’s official web portal for admitted and current students. It is designed to provide a wealth of campus resources and services in one central location.
CSUN students can sign in to access multiple websites and applications, and resources such as email, SOLAR, and network storage space.
Table of Contents
How to log into myNorthridge portal
To access CSUN portal
- Navigate to www.csun.edu and find the portal on the sign-in menu myNorthridge portal.
- Log in using your user ID and password.
- The myNorthridge portal features a tab navigation bar.
- The portal is divided into seven tabs: Home, Academics, Services, Activities, Financial Matters, and Add Page.
- By default, your portal opens onto your home page.
- Select other tabs to view content on those pages.
- Select Add Page to create your customizable tab.When you are finished using the myNorthridge Portal, go to the upper right-hand corner of the page and select the logout button.
- To prevent unauthorized users from accessing your personal information, ensure you close the browser after logging out.
How to activate your CSUN portal account
To gain access to the myNorthridge portal and CSUN Canvas, you must have a CSUN user ID. To activate, locate the user ID and initial password in the admissions packet sent to you by Admissions and Records. Activation instructions will be displayed.
If you haven’t set up your CSUN portal account, follow the activation instructions below:
- After you have applied to CSUN through Cal State Apply, you will receive an “Activate Your CSUN Account” email from Admissions and Records sent to the address you provided in your online application. You should receive the email within 1 or 2 days of applying.
- Check your CSUN email and myNorthridge portal regularly for official communications. The University will stop sending emails to your address.
- Locate the “Activate CSUN User ID and Password” email (see above) sent to you by Admissions and Records. The email will include a link to authenticate your identity and set up your password.
- Visit the CSUN Login page, and enter your user ID and password.
- Follow the subsequent instructions to activate your user ID and password.
How to reset your forgotten CSUN password
Before you can reset your password, you must know one of the following three items:
Your CSUN User ID, your 9-digit CSUN ID Number, OR your CSUN email (e.g.
firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com).
- Go to www.csun.edu and select the Forgot: Password link from the myNorthridge Portal Login window.
- The Forgot/Reset My Password window displays.
- Enter your date of birth in (MM/DD) format.
- Enter one of the following:
- Your CSUN User ID
- Your 9-digit CSUN ID number
- Or, your CSUN email address (e.g., firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Select the Next button.
- You will be asked to select how you’d like your temporary password to be sent. In this example, only one option is available based on the information on file. Make the appropriate selection NonCSUN email (if applicable) or Text.
- Once your selection is made, select the Send Temporary CSUN Password button. Your temporary password will be sent via the chosen method.
- You will use your temporary password to log in once to change your password. Proceed to the next section for instructions on how to change your password.
If this does not work, contact the IT Help Center by phone at (818) 677-1400, online at (http://techsupport.csun.edu) or in-person in (Oviatt Library, First Floor, Learning Commons). For security reasons, the Help Center is unable to reset your password via email.
How to change your CSUN password
When prompted by the system to change your password, select Change Password. You will be sent to a screen where you’ll;
- Enter your User ID in the Your Account ID field. If you do not know it, visit the Forgot User ID section of this guide.
- Enter Your Old Password.
- Enter Your New Password noting the following guidelines:
- Contains at least one upper and lowercase alpha, at least one number, and one character from the following: (!@#$%^&*-_)
- Be at least nine (9) characters long
- Not contain your first or last name
- Not use common words that would be in a dictionary
- Enter your New Password Again.
- Select the Submit New Password button.
Your password should now be changed. If you receive an error along the way, review the password guidelines and try again.
How to find your user ID
If you forgot your User ID, do the following:
- Go to www.csun.edu and select the Forgot: User ID link from the myNorthridge Portal Login window.
- To use this tool, you must complete information for TWO options on the Forgot User ID page.
- Once you’ve completed TWO of the options, select the Search button.
- Your User ID will be provided on the next page.
Students are issued a CSUN email account when they apply to the University. You should have received a letter from Admissions and Records with your CSUN email address and initial password. Use this information to access your account for the first time.
Your CSUN student Gmail account serves as your official email account with the University. This means that the University will use it for official communications, and you are responsible for monitoring this account.
How to access CSUN gmail
Go to the Gmail login page and sign in with your @my.csun.edu email prefix (e.g., jane.doe) and CSUN password. If you don’t know your email address, log in to the myNorthridge portal and go to the Student Center (SOLAR). Your student Gmail address is located under Personal Information.
If you don’t have your initial password, contact the IT Help Center in person or by phone. If you tried using your CSUN password and this did not work, reset your CSUN password and try again.
How to register for classes via myNorthridge portal
- Log into myNorthridge Portal to find your enrollment appointment in My Checklist.
- Schedule your planned classes with the search tools described at Before Your Register. Be flexible in case your first choices aren’t available.
As you plan your schedule, note the following:
- Class Notes provide important instructions, such as corequisite courses (e.g., paired lecture and lab class sections) that require concurrent enrollment and whether or not fully online courses require attendance at virtual meetings at scheduled times, etc.
- Some classes require permission to add because they are “restricted” to a certain major, class standing (freshman, junior or senior), etc. Contact the academic department or instructor to request a permission number to add the class.
- Departments may add new sections before and during registration periods, so revisit the Schedule of Classes listing regularly.
- When your enrollment appointment arrives, log into myNorthridge Portal and select the “Enroll in Classes” link in My Checklist.
- Note the maximum unit load. During fall and spring, students in good standing may enroll in up to 17 units while students on probation are limited to 13 units. Graduating seniors may enroll in 19 units.
- Add classes to your enrollment shopping cart, submit your request and confirm the results.
- If you’ve saved a favorite schedule in Registration Planner, use the validation feature to detect any closed class sections or enrollment errors. Adjust your schedule as needed, and then import the schedule to your enrollment cart.
- If you have preloaded your cart, you can submit your enrollment request using the CSUN Mobile App as soon as your appointment arrives.
- Wait-list for closed classes and be added when a seat opens. You may wait-list for a maximum of 13 units.
- Pay your tuition and other fees, which are due upon registration but no later than the deadlines published in the Fee Payment Schedule. The due date may vary depending on when you register for each class in your schedule.IMPORTANT: If you do not pay on time, you will be disenrolled (dropped) from some or all of your classes!
- Log into myNorthridge Portal, Financial Matters tab, to view your account balance and payment due dates.
- You can pay on the go using the CSUN Mobile App.
- If you have financial aid, the amount of your anticipated aid will protect you from disenrollment if you completed the paperwork on time and the total of your aid package is equal to or greater than the amount you owe.
- Adjust your schedule as needed during the registration periods.
- You may add, wait-list, drop, swap, or change the basis of grading online until the published deadlines.
- Drop classes you no longer want as soon as possible during online self-service registration.
- When online access ends, formal approval is required to change your schedule.
- Review your class schedule and final exam schedule in myNorthridge Portal. Confirm the time and location of final exams with your instructors prior to the last class meeting.
How to change major or minor online through myNorthridge portal
You can request a change of major and/or minor online through myNorthridge portal and the SOLAR Student Center. You can add, change or drop a major/minor as long as your request complies with university policy. Changes to an impacted major cannot be requested online. Contact your academic advisor.
SOLAR is the name for the administrative applications at CSUN. For students, SOLAR generally refers to the section in the myNorthridge Portal where you can register for classes, view grades, update campus contact information, etc.
Changing your major/minor online involves 4 steps:
- Before you begin, find out which College your major/minor is part of. You’ll need it later in this process.
- Request the change online in the SOLAR Student Center.
- An appropriate academic advisor or administrator will review your request.
- You will receive a notice of the decision by email. You can also check the status of your request online.
Use the Major/Minor Change paper forms if you have already completed 90 units, if your major does not allow online changes, or if you are enrolled in a major through the Tseng College (extension).
- Go to the CSUN home page at www.csun.edu and:
- Select the myNorthridge Portal link.
- Log in with your CSUN User ID and Password.
- Your myNorthridge portal home page displays. Click the SOLAR Student Center icon in the Quick Links box.
- The SOLAR Student Center displays.
- Under the Academics heading, select Change Major/Minor from the drop-down menu.
- Then click the Go button.
- The Change of Major/Minor page displays text to explain that:
- You can add, change or delete your major(s) and/or minor(s)
- Your request will require an approval process
- You will receive an email with the results of your request
- You can check the SOLAR Student Center for a decision on the “Change of Major/Minor Status” page. To proceed, click the Next button.
- The Restrictions page displays text to explain:
- A few limitations to changing your major/minor online, and
- Why some buttons might be greyed out.
- To change your major, click Change in the major box.
- A new page displays your intended action in the heading: ADD, CHANGE or DELETE a major/minor.
- To change your major, first look up the Requested College.
- Click the magnifying glass icon.
- The Look Up Requested College pop-up window displays a list of Colleges by “academic group code” and “description.”
- Select the College of your intended major/minor.
- Your Requested College name and code now display. Now…
- Look up your Requested Major/Minor.
- Click the magnifying glass icon to view the list of majors.
- The Look Up Major/Minor pop-up window lists all the academic program options (i.e., majors and minors) with their Academic Plan codes for the College you previously selected. Tip: Click the “Description” column heading to sort the program list alphabetically.
- Scroll through the list if needed.
- Select your intended major/minor program by its Academic Plan code (e.g 342135B).
- Your Requested Major/Minor and new degree objective (Bachelor of Science) now display. Proofread your selection.
- To go back and change your selection, click Cancel.
- If satisfied with your selection, click Next.
- The CONFIRM Change Major/Minor page displays. Make sure you’ve selected the intended College and major/minor.
- To go back, click Cancel.
- To proceed with your request, click Submit.
- The “approval required” pop-up message displays to remind you that:
- Your request will be reviewed by the College advisor or administrator
- A decision notice will be sent to your CSUN email account
- You can also “Check Major/Minor Status” in the SOLAR Student Center
- You can still cancel your request by clicking the Cancel button in the message window. To proceed, click OK.
- The Change of Major/Minor Request Completed page confirms that your request has been submitted for review. A confirmation of your request will be sent to your CSUN email account. Click the View Change of Major Status link.
- The Change of Major/Minor Status page displays the record of your request(s) including:
- Transaction details (date and time, action, College, type, major/minor code and description, degree)
- Status of request (applied, approved, or denied)
- Option to Cancel your request
- If you change your mind, return to this page to cancel your Change of Major/Minor. The Cancel button will display until an advisor or administrator replies to your request.
- From the “go to” drop-down menu, select Student Center and click the Go button.
- The SOLAR Student Center displays. If you log out, you can return to the SOLAR Student Center later to view the status of your request as follows:
- In the “Academics” section from the “other academic” drop-down menu, select Check Major/Minor Status.
- Then click the “go” button.
- The Change of Major/Minor Status page displays the decision, either approved or denied. A notice of the decision will also be sent to your CSUN email account.
- To return to myNorthridge portal, click Back to Portal.
- When done, click LOGOUT.
- Check your CSUN email account for a message stating whether or not your Change of Major/Minor request has been approved.
How to use the CSUN class search feature
CSUN Class Search allows students and guests to browse the Schedule of Classes at any time, Search by Additional Category (e.g., GE courses, online courses, myCSUNtablet courses), Search for Open classes only, View assigned textbooks, View the class final exam schedule.
Class Search has three main parts:
- Search page to enter your selection criteria
- Course Results page to view courses matching your criteria
- Class Details page to view specific section requirements and class notes
Follow the instructions below on how to use the CSUN class search for class schedule via CSUN portal or myNorthridge Portal .
- With a CSUN account: Log into myNorthridge Portal with your CSUN User ID and Password. On the Academics tab under “Enroll in Classes” or “Academic Quick Links” boxes, select the Search for Classes icon.
- You can also access Class Search directly at csun.edu/class-search.
- The Class Search page displays four drop-down menus and one checkbox.
- From the required *Term drop-down menu, select a term. You can view a tentative Schedule of Classes several months before registration begins.
- From the required *Session menu, select a session type:
- Select Regular to view courses for matriculated CSUN students and non-matriculated Open University students.
- Select The Tseng College – Credit to view credit courses in degree and certificate programs offered through extension and summer courses.
- Select The Tseng College – Non Credit to view extension courses available for Continuing Education units or no credit.
- Choose a subject from the Subject/Department menu. To view all courses offered by a department for the selected term and session type. With the menu open, type the first letter of the subject to jump to it quickly. For example, type “K” to jump to “KIN – Kinesiology.”
- You can further narrow your search by selecting an Additional Category.
- To search for online course types, first select the Subject. Then, from the Additional Category menu, select one of the four “Online” options listed below. Finally, further filter your search for asynchronous, intermittent, or synchronous/scheduled online meetings. Course types include:
- In Person – On Campus: Classes that meet on campus ALL of the time (in person) or approximately HALF of the time (online hybrid).
- Online – Fully: There are no on-campus meetings. Further filter by:
- FOA = Asynchronous: There are no scheduled online meetings at set times.
- FOI = Intermittent: Some online meetings are scheduled, and students must attend online at set times.
- FOS = Synchronous: All online meetings are scheduled and students must attend online at set times.
- Online – Hybrid: About 50% of class meetings are held on campus.
- Online – On-Campus: Most meetings are online, with some meetings on campus (fewer than half). Online meetings can be asynchronous (COA), intermittent (COI), or synchronous/scheduled (COS).
- To view only those class sections that are available for enrollment, check the Show Open Classes Only box. By default, Class Search displays all scheduled sections: open, closed (full) and canceled classes. You will need to view closed classes in order to wait list for them. Next…
- Click Quick Search to view results.
- The search results will display in the Course List.
- Click the Expand icon to view the Class Section List for a single course. The Class Section List features display in a table with headings.
- To sort a column, click its heading.
- Click the Detail icon for each section to view section specific information.
- The Class Detail page displays for the class section you selected. To start a new search, click Return to go back to the previous page. To clear all fields, select the Reset button.