UF VPN service provides secure remote access to the University of Florida network and makes it appear as if your computer were physically attached to the campus network.
VPN stands for Virtual Private Network. It allows you to connect to a different computer and use the other computer’s internet access off-campus. You can use it in your research processes.
By using the Gatorlink VPN client, you may access resources on the UF network that are not typically available over an Internet path. These may include:
- Windows file shares.
- Private IP addressed systems (10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x).
- UF Library Journals.
- Software licensing services.
The Gatorlink VPN service is based primarily on the Cisco Anyconnect VPN client. This client supports a wide range of operating systems including Windows, Mac, Linux, Apple IOS, and Android.
Table of Contents
How to install uf vpn for iphone
- Download the Cisco Anyconnect app from the App Store on your iPhone or iPad, and launch it from the home screen.
- When launched, the client will ask if it’s okay to extend the device’s VPN capabilities. Click “OK” then click “Add VPN Connection…“
- A screen will load. Match the information with that found on the screen.
- Once you click “Save“, it will take you to the home screen. Select the Gatorlink VPN (so it is “checked“).
- Slide the “Any Connect VPN” to the ON position. Once you do this, it will bring you to an authentication screen. Enter your Gatorlink username and password.
- Click “Connect” – it will bring you to the home screen once again. You should now be connected to the VPN (notice the VPN icon in the upper right, by the battery).
How to install uf vpn for android
- Download AnyConnect Application from Google Play Store.
- Open the Cisco Any Connect Client.
- Next, click on “Connections“.
- Click “Add New VPN Connection.” If this is the first time you are accessing the application, you will see an End User Agreement.
- Give the connection a description and set the server address as vpn.ufl.edu.
- After pressing “Done“, you will be prompted to enter your GatorLink username and password.
- You may get a prompt stating “Connection Request“. Hit “OK” and the key icon will then appear at the top of the screen.
- You should now be connected to the Cisco Anyconnect UF VPN on your android phone.
How to connect UF VPN on Mac
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to connect UF VPN on your MAC device.
On device you are remoting from:
- Install Cisco AnyConnect VPN
- Download Cisco AnyConnect.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install. For more help installing the UF VPN visit the AnyConnect Configuration Guide.
- Connect to the VPN
- Go to the Applications folder.
- Click the “Cisco” Folder.
- Open “Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client”.
- Ensure you are connected to the internet.
- Type “vpn.ufl.edu” in the box and click “Connect”.
- Enter your GatorLink email plus “/campus” (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org/campus) for the username to reduce traffic through the VPN system. Then enter your GatorLink password and click “OK”. If you need to look at UF Library Journals do not use the @ufl.edu/campus option. Instead, use just your GatorLink username.
- The dialog box should disappear when successfully connected.
- Install “Microsoft Remote Desktop 10” from the App Store
- Connect to Remote Computer
- Open “Microsoft Remote Desktop” from the Applications folder.
- Accept permissions if prompted.
- Click “Add PC”.
- Type the “Full Computer Name” obtained in step 3.C of “On-device being remoted into” into the “Computer” field.
- Click “Add”.
- Double click on the icon created to connect to the PC.
- Click “Continue” if prompted.
- Enter GatorLink credentials.
Note: Steps 1 & 2 of this section are not required if you are on UF campus.