UMKC Pathway is the main tool students at the University of Missouri-Kansas City use to register for classes, view grades, and update contact information, among other functions.
The guide below helps you to log into umkc student portal, add and drop courses, change your password, and activate your account if you are a first-time user.
Table of Contents
How to log into umkc pathway
To log into umkc pathway,
- Navigate to umkc.umsystem.edu
- Enter your username
- Enter your password
- Login by tapping on the “Sign in” button.
Your username is the part of your UMKC email before the @ sign. Keep in mind that you must log in with your official username (similar to “abc123”) and not an alias.
You will use your username and password for accessing UMKC Pathway. You need these same credentials to access your UMKC email, and Canvas or to log on to computers on the campus.
When you first log on to UMKC Pathway, you must provide your consent to do business with UMKC online. If you choose not to provide your consent, you will have to do all business with UMKC in person at the Administrative Center during regular business hours.
Once you have decided whether or not to grant consent, you will be re-directed to the sign-on page and you must log on again to access your information. If you grant your consent and later wish to withdraw it, complete the E-consent Withdrawal Form and submit it to Registration and Records.
How to activate your umkc account
- Click on the New User Activation button.
- Enter your UMKC Username and hit submit.
- Select either the email or phone option to receive an authentication code.
- Enter code received.
- Start the New User Registration process.
- Enter preferred phone number(s) and an external email address.
- Answer 5 security questions and 1 optional helpdesk verification question of your choice then select Save.
- Start setup for new user password by entering your UMKC Username.
- Select the option to receive the authentication code and enter the code received.
- Enter a new password and select submit.
- The process is complete when you are sent to the Secure Authentication Toolkit webpage.
How to reset your umkc password
If you have forgotten your password or your password has expired, read the instructions below.
- Enter your University username. Click submit.
- You are prompted to choose a delivery method for your passcode.
- Select your preferred delivery option and wait for the passcode to be delivered.
- You will be prompted to enter the passcode in your web browser. Type the passcode into the field and click submit.
- On the password setup screen, you are provided your USERID for confirmation.
- Type in a new password ensuring you follow the password requirements. Click submit.
- Once successful, you will be presented with the following message in your browser window: Password has been successfully changed.
- You will receive an email notifying you that your password has been changed.
How to select classes and courses
- Consult an Academic Adviser, the Catalog, Plan My Degree, or Major Maps to help you determine which courses are required for your selected major.
- Select the specific sections of courses (these are called classes) you wish to enroll in for the upcoming semester:
- Log on to UMKC Pathway
- Select Self Service
- Select Class Search/Browse Catalog
- Select the term from the drop-down menu
- Select the “Search for Classes” option
- Search for the course you want to take to see if and when it is offered (see Schedule of Classes for more information if you need assistance)
- Each section has a 5-digit “class number” that you use to register for the class. It is displayed with the “Section” on the schedule of classes.
Example: Section: 0001-LEC(10007). The 5-digit number in parenthesis (10007) is the “class number” that you use to register for that section of the course.
How do I add a class umkc pathway?
After the first week of the term, you must obtain both the instructor’s signature and your advisor’s signature to add any classes in UMKC Pathway.
- Log on to Kansas city Pathway.
- Select Self Service.
- Select Student Center.
- Select Add a Class.
- You may search for the class using the Class Search feature or by entering the class number in the Class Number box if you already know it.
- When you find the class you want, select the yellow Select button. On the next page, check the Enrollment Requirements and Class Notes to make sure you want that section of the course. Select the yellow Next button.
- This places the class in your enrollment shopping cart. Placing classes in your enrollment shopping cart does not guarantee you a spot in the class until you finish enrolling in the class.
- If you later decide to not take a class, make sure to remove it from your shopping cart so the system does not automatically enroll you.
- If a class is full and has a waitlist, you may add yourself to the waitlist by attempting to add the class. If there is space on the waitlist, you will be added to it.
- Once you have all the classes you want in your enrollment shopping cart, select the Proceed to Step 2 of 3 buttons.
- You must now review and agree to the Statement of Financial Responsibility.
- Review your classes one last time and select Finish Enrolling.
- You will get a green checkmark for each class you have successfully added. If you do not get to the green checkmark, you are not enrolled in the class yet.
- If a class is full or you don’t meet the prerequisites, you will get a red X. You may need to select a different class.
Dropping classes in umkc pathway
You are allowed to drop classes in UMKC Pathway through the last date for withdrawal as mentioned in the academic calendar.
- First things first, make sure you review the rules and regulations for dropping classes to make sure you don’t have any problems:
- Withdrawing from classes does not release you from financial obligations to the University.
- No one (including faculty and advisers) can withdraw for you.
- Check the withdrawal deadlines in the academic calendar. Undergraduate and graduate student withdrawal deadlines differ and are strictly enforced.
- If you require advice or have questions, contact your academic adviser before withdrawing.
- Withdrawals can be done by mail when a student is unable to appear in person due to being out of town or suffering from an illness or accident if the Registration and Records Office is closed or Pathway is down and you wish to receive a refund. The postmark on the envelope is used as the refund date.
- If you have any problems or questions when dropping a class, contact the Registration and Records Office at 816-235-1125.
- Log on to UMKC Pathway
- Select Self Service
- Select Student Center
- Select Drop a Class and follow the prompts
- Make sure you get a green checkmark to indicate the drop was successful. If you do not get a green checkmark when you are done, you have not dropped the class.
- Always confirm your drop/withdrawal by printing a copy of your class schedule from UMKC Pathway or obtaining a copy from the Registration and Records Office.