VIULearn is VIU’s Learning Management System. It is where you will find online content for courses at VIU that are using the online system. Not all courses will use VIULearn, so you should always check with your instructor if you don’t see one of your courses available on your VIULearn My Home page.
Table of Contents
How to log into VIULearn
To Sign Into VIULearn:
- Navigate to VIULearn at learn.viu.ca.
- Click the Go to VIULearn button.
- Enter in your VIU Computer Account credentials. Your username is your Student Number with no spaces or dashes. Your password is the Computer Account password you set up when you created your VIU Computer Account.
- Click the Sign In button.
- On your My Home page, click on the course tile found under My Courses.
- At any time, you can switch courses using the Course Selector icon or return to the My Home page by clicking on the VIU logo in the upper left corner of every page.
The My Courses area of your VIULearn homepage can have a couple of tabs to help you control what you see first when you log in. If you have pinned any courses, they will appear at the top of the All tab and on the Pinned tab. Your All tab will show up to 12 courses automatically, but you control which courses show up under Pinned and can pin a new course to make it easy to find with the steps below:
You will only ever see a course in VIULearn after your instructor releases the online course to students. Not all instructors will use VIULearn in their courses, and those that do may not release online content until after the first class. If you think your course will be using VIULearn but don’t yet see the course online, we suggest you contact your instructor to find out if and when they will be making VIULearn course content available.
How to reset your VIU password
If you have forgotten your VIU Computer Account credentials or cannot log in to VIULearn, an excellent first step is to try and reset your Computer Account password and try again.
- Go to the student record page. Type your student number in the “student number” field.
- Click I forget my Password.
- Type in the email address on file in your student record
- Click Email my Online Student Record Password
- You will receive two emails from VIU, and one will contain a temporary password. Copy your password to the clipboard. Use that temporary password to log in to your student record.
- You will be prompted to change your password. Use the temporary password provided as the current password.
If you have reset your Computer Account password and can still log in, contact the IT Department for further assistance. The IT Department manages Computer Accounts at VIU and will assist you in getting access to your account.
How to create your student computer account
VIU students are entitled to a computer account and must abide by the Use of Information Technology Policy.
Students have both a student record account and a computer account. These are separate accounts and can both have different passwords. You will not have a computer account until you create one by following the steps below.
Your computer account is used for logging in to computers on campus, using VIU-Secure Wi-Fi, and log in to VIULearn (D2L).
Your username is your student number.
Student accounts will remain active for 120 days past the last enrollment date as a Vancouver Island University student. At the end of the 120 days, the account will be disabled. Data is removed from an account one year after it has been disabled.
If you register in a regular program during that one year, your account will be re-enabled with no data loss.
To create a student account, follow the steps below.
- Log into your Student Record. Note: If you have not logged in before, the password will be your birthdate (in YYMMDD format, e.g., 890504 for May 4, 1989)
- In the left pane, click on Personal Information, then VIU Computer and VIULearn Account
- Enter the required fields
- Read the statement and click the I understand button once only to create a new student account (or change the password if one already exists). This may take several minutes.