Check out UC Berkeley Academic Calendar 2023-2024 enrollment date, registration deadlines, and other important dates. A semester at UC Berkeley typically lasts for 15 weeks, not including final exams. The fall semester usually begins in late August or early September and ends in mid-December, while the spring semester usually begins in mid-January and ends in mid-May.
Each semester is divided into two sessions of approximately 7.5 weeks each, referred to as the “A” and “B” sessions. Some courses may span the entire semester, while others may be offered only in one of the two sessions.
You can view and download the PDF version of the Berkeley Academic Calendar below. You can also add it to your bCal.
Table of Contents
UC Berkeley Academic Calendar Fall 2023
UC Berkeley Fall Semester begins on Wednesday, August 16, 2023, and ends on Friday, December 15, 2023.
Below are important dates and deadlines on the UC Berkeley academic calendar for Fall Semester.
- UC Berkeley Fall 2023 Schedule of Classes is Published on Sunday, March 26, 2023.
- Fall 2023 Phase 1 Continuing Students Enrollment Begins on Monday, Apr 17, 2023.
- Phase 1 Continuing Students Enrollment Ends on Friday, June 16, 2023.
- Phase 1 New Undergraduate Transfer Student Enrollment Begins on Tuesday, July 11, 2023.
- Phase 1 New Undergraduate Freshman Student Enrollment Begins on Thursday, July 13, 2023.
- Phase 1 New Student Enrollment Ends on Sunday, July 16, 2023.
- Phase 2 Continuing Enrollment Begins on Monday, July 17, 2023.
- Phase 2 Enrollment Ends on Sunday, August 13, 2023.
- The adjustment Period Begins on Monday, August 14, 2023.
- Fall 2023 law classes begin on Monday, August 14, 2023, according to Berkely law academic calendar 2023-2024.
- Fall 2023 Semester begins on Wednesday, August 16, 2023.
- Fee Payment Deadline (either in full or the first installment if on Fee Payment Plan) is Friday, August 18, 2023.
- The Last Day to Withdraw for a Full Refund (before instruction begins) is Tuesday, August 22, 2023.
- UC Berkeley Fall 2023 classes start on Wednesday, August 23, 2023. It is the first day of classes (UC Berkeley’s first day of school 2023) for fall 2023 on the UC Berkeley academic calendar 2023-2024.
- The Last Day to Drop Classes Without a Fee is Friday, September 1, 2023.
- The Last Day to drop Early Drop Deadline (EDD) courses is Friday, September 1, 2023.
- The Deadline to Become Officially Registered (enroll and pay 20% of tuition and fees) is Friday, September 8, 2023.
- The Last Day to Add Without a Fee is Friday, September 8, 2023.
- The Last Day for Undergraduates to Add/Drop Classes and Change Units via Cornell Enrollment Center is Wednesday, September 13, 2023.
- The Departmental Schedulers/Enrollment Managers Add/Drop/Swap/Unit Change Deadline is Friday, September 15, 2023.
- The Deadline for Students to be Enrolled (the record will be canceled if not enrolled) is Friday, September 22, 2023.
- The Last Day for Graduates to Add/Drop Classes and Change Units via Enrollment Center is Friday, September 22, 2023.
- The Undergraduate and Graduate Students Grading Option Deadline is Friday, October 27, 2023.
- The Last day of fall 2023 classes is Friday, December 1, 2023.
- UC Berkeley 2023 RRR Week is from Monday, December 4, 2023, to Friday, December 8, 2023.
- Fall 2023 Finals Week is from Monday, December 11, 2023, to Friday, December 15, 2023.
- UC Berkeley fall 2023 Semester ends on Friday, December 15, 2023.
UC Bekerley academic Calendar spring 2023
UC Berkeley Spring Semester begins on Tuesday, January 10, 2023, and ends on Friday, May 12, 2023.
Below are important dates and deadlines on the UC Berkeley academic calendar for Spring Semester 2023.
- On Sunday, January 9, 2023, Phase I Spring enrollment ends for new undergraduate students. On the same day, Phase II Spring enrollment ends for continuing students.
- Adjustment Period for enrollment begins on Monday, January 9, 2023.
- Spring Semester Begins on Tuesday, January 10, 2023.
- Spring tuition and registration fee payment due (in full or first installment payment of 20%) on Friday, January 13, 2023.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Holiday is Monday, January 16, 2023.
- UC Bekerley Spring classes begin on Tuesday, January 17, 2023.
- The deadline for all students to drop classes without a fee is Friday, January 27, 2023. $10 fee charged for each class dropped after this date.
- Friday, February 3, 2023 is the deadline for all students to add classes without a fee. $5 fee charged for each class added after this date. The same day is the deadline to become “officially registered” (enrolled, tuition and fees paid, no blocks). $150 Late Registration Fee after this date according to the UC Berkeley academic calendar 2022-2023.
- Wednesday, February 8, 2023 is the deadline for undergraduates to add/drop classes or swap/change units for classes.
- Presidents’ Day Holiday is Monday, February 20, 2023.
- The deadline for colleges to add undergraduate candidates to the spring 2023 degree list is Friday, March 10, 2023.
- UC Berkeley Spring break 2023 starts from Monday, March 27, 2023 to Friday, March 31, 2023.
- Cesar Chavez Day is Friday, March 31, 2023 .
- Deadline to change grading options via CalCentral is Friday, March 31, 2023. Subsequent changes require advisor’s approval.
- Formal classes end on Friday, April 28, 2023 according to UC Berkeley academic calendar 2022-2023.
- Cal Day to be determined. Visit calday.berkeley.edu.
- Berkeley RRR week (Reading/Review/Recitation Week) for Spring semester is from Monday, May 1, 2023 – Friday, May 5, 2023.
- The last day of instruction is Friday, May 5, 2023.
- Final Examinations is from Monday, May 8, 2023 – Friday, May 12, 2023.
- Spring semester ends Friday, May 12, 2023.
- Commencement is on Saturday, May 13, 2023.
- Memorial Day Holiday is Monday, May 29, 2023.
UC Berkeley Summer Sessions 2023
Below are important dates and deadlines on the UC Berkeley academic calendar for Summer Sessions 2023.
- Session A (Six Weeks) begins on Monday, May 22, 2023.
- Monday, May 29, 2023 is Memorial Day Holiday.
- Session B (Ten Weeks) begins on Monday, June 5, 2023.
- Monday, June 19, 2023 is Juneteenth Holiday. Monday classes meet on Friday, June 24 2023.
- Session C (Eight Weeks) begins on Tuesday, June 20, 2023.
- Independence Day Holiday is Tuesday, July 4, 2023.
- Session A (Six Weeks) ends on Friday, June 30, 2023.
- Session D (Six Weeks) begins on Monday, July 3, 2023.
- Session F (Three Weeks) begins on Monday, July 3, 2023.
- Academic and Administrative Holiday is on Tuesday, July 4, 2023.
- Session F (Three Weeks) ends on Friday, July 21, 2023.
- Session E (Three Weeks) begins on Monday, July 24, 2023.
- Sessions B, C, D, and E end on Friday, August 11, 2023.
UC Berkeley academic calendar 2023-2024 PDF
For PDFs of past, current, and future UC Berkeley Academic Calendar, visit the Calendar page on the Office of the Registrar website. See the instructions in the FAQ section of this page to “Add a Calendar to Your bCal.”
Frequently asked questions
Here are some frequently asked questions about UC Berkeley academic calendar. Other important dates and deadlines can also be found on the Student Enrollment Calendar.
How do I check my final exam schedule for UC Berkeley?
All final exam times can be found on Cal Central after registration. The official Schedule of Final Examination locations will be made available on the 11th week of instruction. Online courses are those whose course numbers have a W prefix (e.g., Psych W1). Not all online courses have in-person final exams. Check with your instructor if you do not know what type of final assessment your online course will have.
What is Berkeley RRR week?
RRR Week is the week following the end of formal class instruction and preceding the final exams at Berkeley. RRR stands for Reading, Review, and Recitation.
It is intended for students to have free time to prepare for exams, work on final papers and projects, and participate in optional review sessions and meetings with instructors.
RRR week is based on the pedagogical principle that students benefit from time devoted to synthesizing the course material learned over the course of the semester.
Are there classes during RRR week, Berkeley?
There are no formal classes during RRR week at Berkeley. However, RRR days are counted as days of instruction by the state legislature and federal financial aid guidelines.
The UC Berkeley academic calendar includes a notation for the end of formal classes and the “last day of instruction” to mark this distinction.
What is Cal Day?
Cal Day is an extravaganza of events that showcase the brilliance and fun of UC Berkeley. The annual campus-wide open house attracts some 40,000 visitors to the typically bustling Berkeley campus. Cal Day 2023 date will be made available on the UC Berkeley Academic Calendar.
Is UC Berkeley on semesters or quarters?
The University of California-Berkeley is on a semester system. Semester systems are typically around 14-16 weeks long. They consist of 3 terms: Fall, Spring, and Summer.
However, all UC’s (except for Cal and UC Merced) run off a 10-week quarter system.
How do I add a calendar to my bCal?
It’s easy to add the UC Berkeley Academic Calendar and/or the Religious Holidays Calendar to your bCal. Just open Google Calendar, clicking the + symbol to the right of the “Other Calendars” heading, select “From URL,” and then paste the URL below into the field.