CUNY Graduate Center is the graduate centre of The City University of New York, a leader in public graduate education, and committed to doctoral and master’s education for the public good.
The Graduate Center has over 3,500 masters and doctoral students. Out of this number, 24% are international students, and 90% of incoming doctoral students receive five-year fellowship packages.
A core faculty of approximately 140 is supplemented by over 1,800 additional faculty members drawn from CUNY’s eleven senior colleges and New York City’s cultural and scientific institutions.
The graduate school offers 31 doctoral programs, 14 master’s programs, and 30 research centers and institutes.
Cuny graduate center acceptance rate is 43%. It also has a graduation rate of 34%, according to the US Department of Education.
Table of Contents
Cuny graduate center application and admission
Application to CUNY Graduate Center is in six easy steps. The admission pages are designed to help you easily navigate the application process.
How to apply
- Review program information, requirements, and application deadlines.
- Connect with the program and sign up for more information.
- Gather your application materials. These include transcripts to CUNY, letter of recommendation, Graduate Record Examination (GRE) Score, and English as a Foreign Language. You must submit scores from either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) unless you have a post-secondary degree from an institution in which the language of instruction is English-only and located in a country that recognizes English as an Official Language.
- Submit your application, supplemental material, and application fee. To officially apply, you must click “Submit” on your online application, pay the application fee, and then electronically sign the application. The Graduate Center has a nonrefundable $75 application fee. Credit card payments are accepted online.
- Track your application and review Financial Aid information. Once you submit your application, you will be able to track your application materials within five business days. You will need to log back into the online application and view your Next Step Checklist to review what documents may be considered outstanding.
- Further steps (if accepted). If your application is accepted, you’ll need to review your acceptance letter and financial assistance information. Contact Admissions, Financial Aid, or your program if you have any further questions about your acceptance.
Official admissions documents need to be sent to the Office of Admissions before registration.
Admitted students will be sent registration materials approximately 3 to 4 weeks before new student registration.
After completing the online application form, you will be asked to submit the form for review. A payment page will then appear asking you to select your payment method. You may pay online with a credit card or by sending in a check by mail.
How to check your application status
Visit your CUNYfirst Student Center for updates regarding your application status. If you have already claimed your CUNYfirst account, follow the instructions below to check the status of your application:
- Navigate to GC portal via gc.cuny.edu/GC-Portal.
- Click on the CUNY First link.
- Enter your username and password.
- Once you are logged in, on the left-hand side under “CUNYfirst Menu” click ‘Student Center’
- Scroll down to the ‘Admissions’ section and click ‘View Details’
Cuny graduate center portal – GC portal
GC portal or Cunyfirst is a login portal for students of the CUNY Graduate Center.
CUNYfirst is an online system used by all CUNY campuses to manage administrative processes in Student Administration.
This shared system streamlines various tasks for students, faculty, and staff, from registering for classes to paying bills to manage grades and class rosters.
CUNYfirst can be accessed from the GC Portal or this direct link cunyfirst.cuny.edu. You must have an active CUNYfirst account to log in.
You’ll also have access to zoom, Qualtrics online survey, CUNY blackboard, GC email, collaboration tools, and other CUNY technology services.
CUNY graduate center ranking
The CUNY Graduate Center is an outstanding school, and it’s classified among “R1: Doctoral Universities – Very High Research Activity”.
The Graduate Center faculty include recipients of the;
- Nobel Prize.
- Pulitzer Prize.
- the National Humanities Medal.
- the National Medal of Science.
- the National Endowment for the Humanities.
- the Rockefeller Fellowship.
- the Schock Prize.
- the Bancroft Prize.
- the Wolf Prize.
- Grammy Awards.
- the George Jean Nathan Award for Dramatic Criticism.
- Guggenheim Fellowships.
- the New York City Mayor’s Award for Excellence in Science and Technology.
- the Presidential Early Career Awards for Scientists and Engineers.
- the National Academy of Sciences.
CUNY graduate center courses
The following courses are offered at CUNY Grad Center. You can check out their various requirement and deadline.
- Anthropology – PhD
- Art History – PhD
- Audiology – AUD
- Biochemistry – PhD
- Biography and Memoir – MA
- Biology – PhD
- Business – PhD
- Chemistry – PhD
- Classics – MA & PhD
- Cognitive Neuroscience – MS
- Comparative Literature – MA & PhD
- Computer Science – PhD
- Criminal Justice – PhD
- Data Analysis and Visualization – MS
- Data Science – MS
- Digital Humanities – MA
- Earth and Environmental Sciences – PhD
- Economics – PhD
- Educational Psychology – PhD
- English – PhD
- French – PhD
- History – PhD
- International Migration Studies – MA
- Latin American, Iberian, and Latino Cultures – PhD
- Liberal Studies – MA
- Linguistics – MA & PhD
- Mathematics – PhD
- Middle Eastern Studies – MA
- Music – DMA & PhD
- Nanoscience – MS
- Neuroscience Collaborative – PhD
- Nursing – PhD
- Philosophy – MA & PhD
- Physics – PhD
- Political Science – MA & PhD
- Psychology – PhD
- Quantitative Methods in the Social Sciences – MS
- Social Welfare – PhD
- Sociology – PhD
- Speech-Language-Hearing Sciences – PhD
- Theatre and Performance – PhD
- Urban Education – PhD
- Women’s and Gender Studies – MA
- Data Science – Advanced Certificate Program
- Interactive Technology and Pedagogy – Certificate Program.