Check out important dates and deadlines on the USC Academic Calendar 2023-2024 and registration calendar 2023. The University of Southern California, USC is on a semester system, made up of Fall, Spring, and Summer. Each semester is around 14-16 weeks long.
The fall semester has 68 instructional days, the Spring semester has 69 instructional days, and Summer Semester has 57 instructional days.
Below are important dates and deadlines on the USC Academic calendar for 2023-2024.
Table of Contents
USC academic calendar fall Semester 2023
The USC fall semester of 2023 has 68 instructional days. Below are the important dates and deadlines on the USC academic calendar for fall 2023.
- Fall 2023 Open Registration is from Monday, August 14, 2023, to Friday, August 18, 2023.
- USC Move-In day 2023 is on Wednesday, August 16, 2023.
- USC fall 2023 classes begin on Monday, August 21, 2023.
- Labor Day holiday is Monday, September 4, 2023.
- USC Fall break is from Thursday, October 12, 2023, to Friday, October 13, 2023.
- Veterans Day holiday is Friday, November 10, 2023.
- Thanksgiving break 2023 is from Wednesday, November 22, 2023, to Sunday, November 26, 2023.
- Classes end on Friday, December 1, 2023.
- Study Days are Saturday, December 2, 2023, to Wednesday, December 5, 2023.
- Exams are from Wednesday, December 6, 2023, to Wednesday, December 13, 2023.
- Winter break 2023 is from Thursday, December 14, 2023 to Sunday, December January 7, 2023.
USC move in day 2023
USC move-in day 2023 is on Wednesday, August 16, 2023 for undergraduates and Monday, August 7, 2023 for graduate students.
According to USC academic calendar 2023-2024, Fall semester move-in appointments for undergraduates will begin prior to the contract start date and may be requested online on the Housing portal in the summer.
Requests may be submitted online until August 1.
USC campus area traffic will be very busy during Fall Move-In day. Students are encouraged to adopt a minimalist approach when deciding what to bring with them. You may wish to coordinate bringing big items, such as appliances, with your roommate(s).
Not everything has to be brought in on Move-In Day. Some items, like winter clothing, for example, can be brought or shipped later.
You will need basic items, such as linens, toiletries, and personal electronics. If you are living in an apartment and plan on preparing some of your meals, you will need to bring cooking and eating utensils along with basic cleaning tools and supplies.
What not to bring during USC move-in day 2023
Every USC housing facility is fully furnished. Most residents can expect an extra-long twin bed (36” X 80”), a desk, a desk chair, dresser drawers, and closet space.
With the exception of the two-bedroom loft units in University Village, which do not have a living room or a full kitchen, apartments are also furnished with living room and dining room furniture, and kitchen appliances (stove/oven and refrigerator).
Suite-style units are furnished with living room furniture, which varies by building. Residence hall rooms have a microwave/fridge combination unit.
Each resident is responsible for supplying their own linens (pillows, blankets, towels) and in apartments with kitchens, and cooking utensils.
All residence hall rooms and suite bedrooms at USC also come with a micro-fridge (a small refrigerator-and-microwave combination unit).
Please Don’t Bring the following during USC housing move-in day 2023.
Pets – The only pets allowed in university housing are fish in aquariums of 10 gallons or less capacity.
Air Conditioning Units – If your housing assignment does not have AC, you cannot install or place a standalone unit in your room yourself. This is a physical alteration of the property, prohibited for safety and security reasons.
Dish/Satellite TV Receivers – Installing such a unit is a physical alteration prohibited for safety reasons. Remember, all USC housing facilities come with free digital cable TV service.
WiFi Routers – All buildings have USC Wireless and Guest Wireless. Installing your own router can interfere with the USC signal and is a violation of policy.
Hoverboards – Per university policy, hoverboards are not allowed in housing facilities.
USC academic calendar spring 2024
USC Spring 2024 has 73 instructional days. These are other important dates and deadlines on the USC academic calendar for Spring 2024.
- USC spring 2024 semester open registration starts on Thursday, January 4, 2024 to Friday, January 5, 2024.
- USC Spring 2024 classes start on Monday, January 8, 2024. Check out my USC login guide.
- Martin Luther King’s Day Holiday is Monday, January 15, 2024 according to the USC holiday calendar 2024.
- According to the USC academic calendar 2024, January 26 2024 is the;
- Last day to register and add classes for Session 001.
- Last day to drop a class without a mark of “W,” except for Monday-only classes, and receive a refund for Session 001.
- Last day to change enrollment option to Audit for Session 001.
- Last day to purchase or waive tuition refund insurance.
- January 30, 2024, is the last day to add/drop a Monday-only class without a mark of “W” and receive a refund or change to Audit for Session 001.
- President’s Day Holiday is on Monday, February 19, 2024.
- February 23, 2024 is the last day to drop a course without a mark of “W” on the transcript. A Mark of “W” will still appear on the student record and STARS report and tuition charges still apply. The same day is the Last day to change a Pass/No Pass to a letter grade for Session 001.
- USC Spring break 2024 is from Sunday, March 10, 2024 to Sunday, March 17, 2024.
- April 5, 2024, is the last day to drop a class with a mark of “W” for Session 001.
- USC Spring classes end on Friday, April 26, 2024.
- Spring 2023 Study days are from Saturday, April 27 to Tuesday, April 30, 2024.
- Exams start on Wednesday, May 1 to Wednesday, May 8, 2024.
- The USC Spring 2024 semester ends on Thursday, May 9, 2024, according to USC academic calendar 2024.
- USC Commencement/graduation 2024 is Friday, May 10, 2024.
For more on USC academic calendar 2024, visit the University of Southern California academic calendar page.
USC Spring break 2024
The University of Southern California, USC Spring break 2024 is from Sunday, March 10, 2024 to Sunday, March 17, 2024, according to the USC academic calendar 2024. Classes resume after Spring recess on Monday, March 18, 2024.
USC Spring break 2024 is 1 week long. There are no classes during the Spring recess.
USC graduation 2024
USC graduation (Commencement) 2023 takes place on Friday, May 10, 2024, at the University of Southern California Alumni Memorial Park.
It will be the 140th Commencement Ceremony in the history of the school. USC does not have a university-wide minimum GPA requirement for graduate admission eligibility.
The graduation ceremony opens with a grand academic procession beginning at 8:30 a.m., followed by remarks by university leadership, the conferring of honorary degrees, and addresses by the valedictorian and commencement speaker.
The procession begins at 8:30 a.m. and the ceremony at 9:00 a.m., but USC recommends guests arrive by 7:00 a.m. to secure parking and seating. Those who arrive by 6:00 a.m. will have an easier time parking and finding seating. Seating is first come, first serve, USC does not give out tickets.
USC graduation ceremonies lasts about 1 and half hour to 2 hours.
The University welcomes the many family members and friends arriving on campus to celebrate Commencement with their graduating students. Graduating families are encouraged to celebrate the USC graduating Class of 2024 by using #USCGrad on social media.
Do students have to register for commencement?
There is no sign-up process for participation in the University of Southern California graduation ceremony which is on the date, Friday, May 10, 2024 at 8:30 a.m. in Alumni Park. If you’re on track to graduate in the Fall, Spring, or Summer of the 2023/2024 academic year, you can march in the main university ceremony without any registration process.